- "I tell you, the comparison with Dragons is a highly misleading one. Wyverns are clearly a different order of beast entirely, being as it were four-limbed rather than six-limbed. Furthermore, Wyverns have none of the redeeming qualities of Dragons. They swap pride for arrogance and nobility for cruelty. There is probably no creature quite so vicious as a Wyvern, which of course is why they ally themselves to Orcs so frequently."
- —Waldemarr, Scholar of Nuln.[2a]
Wyverns are cannibalistic predators that are known to be a distant offshoot of the Dragon race.
Wyverns are cannibalistic predators that are opportunistic hunters and not above eating carrion, which — along with their other filthy habits — ensures Wyverns are amongst the most foul-smelling creatures imaginable. Living high in the barren reaches of the World's Edge Mountains, they often venture far from their bone-filled lairs to devastate Empire towns and farms. When the Greenskins see the menacing silhouette a Wyvern circling high above, they greet it with raucous cheers — another example of the strong imposing their will.
No Orc would be so foolish as to try to tame a fully grown Wyvern. However, adventurous Night Goblins raid Wyvern nests to steal eggs, which are traded or subsequently sold Orcs for a steep price. It is dangerous work to hand-rear a Wyvern to full growth, but they are highly prized mounts for the most powerful Orc Warlords or Great Shamans who form an unnatural bond with these hideous brutes. Wyverns are voracious beasts that always hunger for fresh meat, and their Orc masters are always willing to throw a few unlucky gobbos into the feeding pit of their loyal winged steed.[1a]
- The Beast - A near-immortal Wyvern that was slain - several times - by the Bretonnian knight, Calard of Garamont.
- Doomserpent - Wyvern of Blacktoof, a Goblin Shaman who almost destroyed the Great Vortex during Grom the Paunch's invasion of Yvresse.
- 1: Warhammer Armies: Orc and Goblins (8th Edition)
- 1a: pg. 63
- 2: Old World Bestiary (2nd Edition Fantasy Roleplay)
- 2a: pg. 57 - 58