- "I tell you, the comparison with Dragons is a highly misleading one. Wyverns are clearly a different order of beast entirely, being as it were four-limbed rather than six-limbed. Furthermore, Wyverns have none of the redeeming qualities of Dragons. They swap pride for arrogance, and nobility for cruelty. There is probably no creature quite so vicious as a Wyvern, which of course is why they ally themselves to Orcs so frequently."
- —Waldemarr, Scholar of Nuln.[2a]
Wyverns are cannibalistic predators that are known to be a distant off-shoot of the Dragon race.
These creatures have been known to be opportunistic hunters, able to eat just about anything from rotting carcasses to bloated bodies amongst other filthy habits, making the Wyvern one of the most foul-smelling creatures to ever plague the Worlds Edge Mountains. These creatures have been known to swoop down from their bone-filled lairs high up in the mountains to devastate Empire towns and farms for easy prey. When the Men of the Empire see a Wyvern in the distance, they often go into a panic. For the Greenskins, its the entire opposite.[1a]
When they see these creatures circling above, Orcs have been known to greet it with raucous cheers, for the flying creature represents both might and brutality, traits that are highly respected within Orc society. Perhaps the only way for an Orc to ride a Wyvern is to steal a Wyverm egg and hand-rear it to maturity. These beast are the most highly prized mounts within a Greenskin army, where only the most powerful Orc Warbosses or Great Shamans have the ability and unnatural bond to bind these cruel beast to his will. In battle, Wyverns are voracious beast that always hunger for fresh meat, and would sometimes land right in the middle of an enemy unit and feast upon their flesh in the droves while its rider hacks at the enemy that are still left.[1a]
- The Beast - A near-immortal Wyvern that was slain - several times - by the Bretonnian knight, Calard of Garamont.
- 1: Warhammer Armies: Orc and Goblins (8th Edition)
- 1a: pg. 63
- 2: Old World Beastiary (2nd Edition Fantasy Roleplay)
- 2a: pg. 57 - 58