- "They are one of the most beautiful themes in the song of the world and sacred in Loec’s eyes. They are a reflection of all that is good. As they fare, so do we all. If the day should come that our people falter and the last Unicorn falls, then Chaos will sweep over all lands and madness shall rule this world until its end. It is no accident that their purity can hold evil enchantments at bay, nor chance alone that leads some of our most honoured maidens to ride them into battle."
- —Litharin, Wardancer.[2a]
Unicorns are mystical steeds, renowned for their elegance and grace.
The Unicorn is an innately magical creature, but its selfish nature means that it tends to feel no kinship with creatures that were summoned or created through sorcerous means, despite their common origins. If anything, it pities such beings for their misfortune at having been created as anything other than a Unicorn. Unicorn ivory is a much sought after prize in certain corners of Bretonnian society, and many a gallant knight has met his end pursuing a Unicorn deep into Athel Loren.[1a]
Just as the brave warrior thinks he has cornered his prize, the creature disappears without warning, conveniently within a few paces of a swarm of vengeful spites or vigilant Waywatchers. Curiously, Unicorns are drawn to female mages as moths to a flame, and find the taste of magic intoxicating. Most Spellsingers and Grail Damsels find this an acceptable situation, as a tame Unicorn makes for an excellent steed. Furthermore, the beast’s nature protects its rider against hostile magics, with a devastating spell often resulting in little more than a slightly inebriated and emboldened steed.[1a]
- Silvaron - Steed of Fay Enchantress Morgiana.
- Arsil, the Prince of Unicorns - A great Unicorn Lord, Arsil had an unfortunate encounter with Ghorros Warhoof in a moonlit glade centuries ago. His broken skull now decorates Ghorros's scalp, and still harbours some protective magic.
- 1: Warhammer Armies: Wood Elves (8th Edition)
- 1a: pg. 42
- 2: Old World Bestiary (Fantasy Roleplay)
- 2a: pg. 33
- 3: Total War: Warhammer