- "Clan Skryre fields troops that lob balls of poison into the ranks of their enemies. Those who succumb to these choking clouds die writhing upon the ground, drowning in their own bloody froth. Few who witness their assaults are unmoved by them, for their outlandish costumes and gas masks set the Globadiers apart from other Skaven. They are not merely enraged vermin who swing swords; instead, these faceless automatons are feared, merciless killers"
- —Steffan Paulus Adelhof, Scholar of Wolfenburg.[2a]
Poisoned Wind Globadiers are a class of Clan Skryre weapons-specialist that are trained in the use of chemical warfare.
The weapons of Clan Skryre are as limitless in their scope as they are dreadful in their menace. Some of the most horrifying are those that kill many enemies with only a little effort. The poison wind globes are one such weapon, and they are dispensed by an elite corps called the Globadiers. The Globadiers are trained in the uses of poisons, much like Eshin Assassins. Unlike the adepts of Clan Eshin, these Skaven instead focus their training upon toxins that can kill many enemies at once. The vapours that swim within poison wind globes are carried on the fickle winds of the battlefield and into the lungs of the enemy and, sometimes, into those of allies as well.[2a]
Poisoned Wind Globes are crafted out of glass or crystal orbs filled with noxious warpstone gas. When thrown, the sphere shatters, releasing billowing clouds so lethal that mere skin contact can cause severe pain. To breath the gases would mean imminent and painful death by means of suffocation. For this reason, Globadiers wear unique protective gear which allows them to breathe these and other poisonous fumes without ill effect. Not only do the gas masks protect the Globadiers, but they lend each one a menacing appearance.[2a]
- "The delicate fingers of poison mist that drift across the battlefields of my brothers are birthed from the spheres that Skryre’s Globadiers fling. The fumes float with deadly beauty, seeking the lungs of our foes. Taking root within the enemy, the poison turns their breath into blood-froth, and death-death soon follows."
- —Skreelin Thurntik, Grey Seer.[2a]
On the battlefield, small teams of Poisoned Wind Globadiers would lurk between allied formations before awaiting the perfect time to let loose their cargo. At times, Globadiers are also accompanied by a Poisoned Wind Mortar to boost their firepower ten-fold. These ratmen are used in battle to decimate tight and heavily-defended enemy formations. When the opportunity arises, these ratmen would dash forward and let loose their weapons before darting back behind the safety of his comrades.[1a]
Globadiers wear unique protective gear which allows them to breathe these and other poisonous fumes without ill effect. Not only do the gas masks protect the Globadiers, but they lend each one a menacing appearance. They are used in battle to decimate large units. Once their poisonous cargo has been unleashed, they draw their blades and wade into the mass of their writhing victims to cut the throats of those who still claim some semblance of life. Without any gear to protect themselves from the fumes, both enemy and allies alike would die in a matter of seconds.[2a]
- 1: Warhammer Armies: Skaven (7th Edition)
- 1a: pg. 59
- 2: Children of the Horned Rat (Fantasy Roleplay)
- 2a: pg. 69