- "The bravest of warriors, Paladins charge into battle either mounted or on foot, bringing righteous death in the Lady's name."
- —Description of the Paladins.
Paladins, known formally as Paladins of the Realm, are mighty champions and heroes of Bretonnia.
Individual heroism is very important to the Knights of Bretonnia - tales of Paladins slaying Dragons and of heroes battling against countless foes are the kind of things they dream of. Even the lowly Peasants feel inspired when they look upon such men, whose courage illuminates all...
Paladins are fearsome knights who have risen above their comrades through experience and martial might. They have performed great deeds on the battlefield and defeated particularly dangerous foes. Their reputation precedes them, being every bit as deadly as the greatest heroes of the Empire - often even more so. Some might be noble Knights of the Realm, whilst others may have taken the Questing Vow, travelling the land and performing acts of heroism in search of the Grail. Some Paladins are blessed with having a noble Pegasus as their mount, and many are equipped with enchanted weapons and armour, potent relics of holy significance, often taken from the vaults of Grail Chapels.
Although not quite as influential as a Bretonnian Lord of the same knightly caste, Paladins are still forces of deadly inspiration upon the battlefield. They are generally of middling rank amongst nobles, although some hold higher ranks such as Earl or may be Baron of a lesser fief, while others hold warrior titles such as Marshal or Warden. A Paladin often acts as a more prominent Lord's personal champion, helping to command their armies and defending them in combat. Whenever one of these heroes enters a town, his presence will be known within minutes, news of his arrival spreading through the crowded streets like wildfire amongst the commoners, who will flock to get a glimpse of one of Bretonnia's heroes.
Whenever a Bretonnian army assembles, rules of chivalry oblige them to task a Paladin with carrying a proud banner of the force. Other Paladins will act as leaders and champions, seeking out the mightiest of foes and inspiring their troops through acts of valour.
Due to the heroic deeds and martial might required to sup from the Grail, all Grail Knights are considered to be holy Paladins in their own right. They are supreme warriors who have been filled with supernatural power, and thus demand respect from those who have not witnessed the sacred chalice, whether they be lowly Knights Errant or powerful Barons and Dukes.
- Repanse de Lyonesse - A legendary female hero of Bretonnia, who later became a Bretonnian Lord and the Duchess of Lyonesse.
- Amalric of Gaudaron - A hero famed as the "Bane of the Undead."
- Viscount d’Alembençon - An enigmatic Viscount of Couronne who defeated the Empire's greatest swordsman, Kurt Helborg.
- The Seven Knights - Mighty heroes of Bretonnian legend.
- Agilulf - An ancient hero of Couronne, who was famed for his magnificent suit of armour.
- 1: White Dwarf #262 (AU/NZ), pg. 78
- 2: GW Product Description: Repanse de Lyonesse
- 3: Total War: Warhammer
- 4: Warhammer: The Bretonnian Collectors' Guide, pg 8
- 5: Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia (6th Edition)
- 6: Knights of Bretonnia (Omnibus)
- 7: Games Workshop US (Bretonnia) - Designer's Notes
- 8: White Dwarf #288 (US)