- "Ostermark is like a miniature of the Empire, a league of free and independent towns relying on each other for mutual security. We have to—no one else in the Empire cares a fig about us."
- —Chancellor Hertwig, Elector Count of Ostermark
The territories of Ostermark, which is often remarked as the Empire's "East March" are considered a highly fertile if not hostile landscape. Ostermark is considered at the very frontiers of the Empire, surronded on three sides by dangerous territority. Neverthless, the people of Ostermark are a valiant breed, and through determination, Ostermark has survived the onslaught of invasion since its founding.
Ostermark borders Sylvania (part of the province of Stirland) to the south, Ostland to the west, the land of Kislev to the north and the World's Edge Mountains to the east. The capital of Ostermark is Bechafen which lies in the northern part. The ruined former capital Mordheim is in Southern Ostermark. It was destroyed by a warpstone comet, but a crusade of Empire Knights was led that razed it to the ground.
The low tech nature of Ostermark's major industries sometimes leads to its people being mocked in other states as simpletons. This is an unfair reputation however as the people of the Mark are as stout and capable as those in any other province. Ostermark regulary sends troops to assist Kislev in its battles against northern invaders. As a result, its state troops and militias are perhaps the most hardened to war against the forces of Chaos of all the troops in the Empire.
- Wolfram Hertwig, Elector Count
- Matteus Hertwig, the Elector Count's brother
Place of Importance
- Bechafen, Ostermark's capital.
- Mordheim, Ostermark's former capital.
- Ostermark Marches
The provincial colours of Ostermark are purple and gold.
- The Empire Collector's Guide (Second Edition)
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (2006)
- Sigmar's Heirs