The Mortarchs were created during the End Times by Nagash after his resurrection in 2524 IC, and served him throughout his campaign, which finally ended with the destruction of the World. They numbered nine and were meant to be replacements for his original Nine Dark Lords - his most trustworthy servants in the days of old.
Three Mortarchs were among the original Nine Dark Lords:
- Arkhan the Black, the Mortarch of Sacraments, Nagash's oldest ally and pupil.
The other six joined for various reasons:
- Mannfred von Carstein, the Mortarch of Night, decided his schemes were not worth undertaking after Nagash's resurrection.
- Vlad von Carstein, the Mortarch of Shadows, joined because Nagash promised to restore his wife Isabella to life as well.
- Luthor Harkon, the Mortarch of the Abyss, joined Nagash out of boredom.
- Dieter Helsnicht wanted to learn necromancy from Nagash.
- Walach Harkon saw an opportunity for glory in battle.
- The Nameless was promised the return of his memory.
- The Dread King, a being surrounded at all times by an aura of fear and dread.
- The Hand of Nagash, an ancient Liche who was imprisoned within a glacier after his defeat.
- Lord Virion the Grim, rumoured to be a Priest of Nehekhara, who followed Nagash's teachings four millennia ago.
- 1: Warhammer: Nagash, pg. 124
- 2: Warhammer: Dark Omen
- 3: Citadel Journal: Issue 3