- "Mounts for our dark kin. Their blood lust is the reflection of the dark lord of Murder to whose service they are consecrated. Fear the Manticore not merely for what it is; fear it because the presence of one signals the approach of our estranged brethren. Sooner face a dozen Manticore than the one who would dare to ride one into battle."
- —Filanas, Elvish Vagabond.[2a]
Manticores are huge, leonine beasts that soar on leathery wings. They are amongst the most powerful of all the predators that live in the north's mountain ranges.
The mutating power of Chaos ensures that no two Manticores are truly alike. Some have manes of writhing serpents, others pelts of iron scales, and many sprout spiked tails with a poison strong enough to boil a man’s blood in his veins. However, all Manticores are berserk killers saturated with primal fury. They are so fierce that they are held by the Dark Elves to be incarnations of Khaine, God of Murder.[1a]
There are rumours that certain Elves practice the breeding of Manticores amidst the black obsidian peaks of the mountain ranges that dominate the Land of Chill, far to the west of the Old World. How they manage to tame such vicious creatures is unknown, though many stories indicate that the Elves of that land are every bit as fierce as the Manticore they raise. Scholars that ask too many questions about such matters tend to find few answers or a messy death.[2a]
In the Old World
- "There are those that say they can speak in the tongues of Men, or at least, the dark tongue of the Beastfolk. I once gave little credence to such rumours, but the tale of a Marienburg sailor has since given me pause. He claimed to have fought in a desperate sea battle with the Marienburg navy against a ship that supposedly rested upon the back of a sea serpent. As outlandish as that tale itself may seem, many others have confirmed it. During this battle, a Manticore supposedly flew out from one of the high towers of the odd serpent vessel. As it flew over the navy's ships, it supposedly roared out insults in its foul tongue. I have no idea what a Manticore was doing at sea, but there it is."
- —Kirsten Hultze, Merchant.[2a]
Manticores are ferocious beasts that dwell high in the mountains, usually far from the habitations of Humanity. Few have ever been seen in the Empire, which is doubtless a blessing, for they are voracious predators who constantly hunt not only for sustenance, but also for the pleasure of the kill. The common description of a Manticore depicts them with the body of a large lion, surmounted by a pair of leathery bat wings and a whip-like tail. But they are a Chaos breed, mutable and terrible with uncountable variations. Some have barbed tails like a scorpion’s that bear bitter poison. Others are armoured in scales and covered in thorny projections that bleed ceaselessly. Manticores are cunning fighters. They are swift to retreat to the relative safety of the air when a battle goes against them.[2b]
- 1: Warhammer Armies: Chaos Warriors (7th Edition)
- 1a: pg. 29
- 2: Old World Bestiary(Fantasy Roleplay)