- "Even the mightiest of creatures must fear the Cockatrice, for its gaze means certain death..."
- —Bonnaudo, famed Bretonnian explorer.[1a]
The Cockatrice is a deadly, magical beast known to petrify those that look directly into its gaze.
These beasts are vicious and obviously tainted by Chaos for both their unnatural appearance and for their fierce disposition in battle. A cockatrice is an unsettling and repulsive creature that seldom emerges from its lair. Some say that this is due to the enthusiasm with which Bretonnian Knights hunt and slay them - even the stupidest creature can make out the intentions of a Knight Errant at full flood, and Cockatrices are, if anything, more intelligent than most knights.[1a]
In truth, the Cockatrice is not a bold fighter and prefers to lurk around the fringes of a battlefield where it can safely feast on the dead and dying. Despite the beast's inclination for self-preservation, only a very foolish warrior will corner a Cockatrice. When the beast is desperate, it goes berserk, shrinking and clawing at all who approach it with maddened ferocity that more then compensates for its inner cowardice.[1a]
Their lairs, surrounded by the pecked-apart corpses of beasts many times larger than themselves, would seem to indicate that they have some sort of advantage over sizeable prey. For whilst the Cockatrice is not so physically fearsome as other monsters, it has a curious ability that makes it equal of even the mightiest Dragon. The Cockatrice can petrify its foes with a magical gaze, literally turning them to stone with a glance unless they can evade its sorcerous stare. This ability makes the Cockatrice a deadly opponent, for a warrior must try to vanquish the beast without ever setting sight upon it. Even a glimpse of the Cockatrice's visage is enough of a view to prove deadly. And some times they have poisonous claws and even acidic vomit to better help them slay their prey...[1a]
- The Cockatrice of Yorvale - A fearsome Cockatrice that was slain by the renowned Grail Knight, Reolus of Quenelles.
- In Sons of Ellyrion, the Cockatrice is mentioned as dwelling in the Annulii Mountains of Ulthuan.[3a]
- 1: Storm of Magic (supplement)
- 1a: pg. 124
- 2: Warhammer: Age of Reckoning
- 3: Sons of Ellyrion (novel) by Graham McNeill
- 3a: Chapter 19