- "Is that the way it is then? Fine! Have your challenge, Ekaterina and for you, Dwarf, a doom!... Without challenge, how can I prove worthy? When will you challenge me? When will you prove your worth in Khorne's eyes? Come to me, Lion. Come, Unsworn. Join us in our dance. Come join us on the road. Let us baptise Khorne's path with the blood of Heroes!"
- —Lord Garmr the Gore-Wolf, one of the greatest Champions of Khorne.[2a]
A Chaos Lord is a Chaos Warrior who has earned through blood and carnage the greatest favour from the Chaos Gods amongst the Northmen tribes. A Chaos Lord is a legendary engine of mass destruction whose deeds have destroyed armies at a whim and whose skills at arms have decapitated rival Champions in the dozens.
To be a Chaos Lord means to command the utmost power amongst the tribes of the North, and with such power and favour within their grasp, these lords of Chaos would lead the armies of the Dark Gods into their horrific crusades against the weaklings of the south.[1a]
Of all the mortal warriors across the civilisations of the world, Chaos Lords are the most feared, for they are truly like gods amongst Men. Clad in baroque armour and rich furs, they tower above even other Champions of Chaos, who are but feeble children by comparison. A Chaos Lord's indomitable will is forged in the fires of war, his skills are tempered and honed in the crucible of battle, and his blade is eternally quenched in blood.[1a]
Each Chaos Lord has travelled a long and perilous road to pre-eminence, a road paved with the broken corpses of less successful aspirants. Regardless of their individual abilities, they are without exception powerful warriors, combining the strength of a Troll with the speed of a striking snake.[1a]
The Chaos Lord's abilities are enhanced further by gifts from his divine patrons. Seeking ever more glory in the eyes of his deities, a Chaos Lord will test their mettle against the most accomplished of their foes' warriors, their forbidding challenge echoing across the field.[1a]
Those brave enough to meet a Chaos Lord's summons to combat are briefly saluted before being hacked to pieces where they stand, for to stand against a Chaos Lord is to invite a sudden and brutal death.[1a]
A Chaos Lord is not only an exceptional fighter but also a merciless conqueror. A great leader and strategist, their sheer force of will binds legions of Men and monsters alike to their service. Each Chaos Lord's name is spoken in hushed whispers across the lands of Men, their violent deeds written in the blood of their enemies. A Chaos Lord's is the voice that condemns whole tribes and nations to death. His gaze terrorises his followers into submission and grovelling obedience. [1a]
An aura of dark power surrounds each Chaos Lord, drawing ever more devotees to their banner as their legend grows. When a Lord of Chaos marches to war, the world shakes, for in their hearts, all fear that one day a Chaos Lord will come who will grind the armies of the world under his heel, and bring about an age of darkness that will never end.[1a]
Infamous Chaos Lords
- Tamurkhan - The horrificly mutated Lord of Nurgle.
- Mortkin - One of the mightiest Chaos Lords to have ever lived, a warrior blessed by all four of the Dark Gods.
- Vorgaroth - A hulking Champion and Lord of Khorne, blessed with the size of an Ogre Tyrant and rippling muscles of unholy power.
- Mordrek the Damned - A former Prince of the Empire, Elector Count and Lord of Brass Keep, who became the near-immortal instrument of the Gods.
- 1: Warhammer Armies: Warriors of Chaos (8th Edition)
- 1a: pg. 26
- 2: Road of Skulls (Novel) by John Reynolds
- 2a: Chapter 19