In the long distant past, the lands of the Bretonni were secured by Gilles le Breton, and the Kingdom of Bretonnia was formed. Each of the Bretonni lords, the mighty Grail Companions, swore oaths of fealty to Gilles, who they proclaimed as their ruler. The lords themselves were each given the title of Duke, and the traditional borders of their lands were formalised, creating the fourteen dukedoms. Gilles became the Royarch of all Bretonnia, though he also fulfilled the role of Duke of Bastonne.
A Duke of Bretonnia has royal power within his dukedom, but he is still subject to the King. This means that a Duke acting within his own dukedom cannot break the law, unless he disobeys a direct order from the King himself. The Dukes are also each a Bretonnian Lord, powerful and renowned warriors, for they could not retain their station were they not.
Current Dukes of Bretonnia
Past Dukes of Bretonnia
- Aquitaine - King Louis the Righteous.
- Aquitaine - The Red Duke.
- Aquitaine - Gilon.
- Aquitaine - Galand.
- Aquitaine - Richemont.
- Bastonne - Gilles le Breton.
- Bastonne - King Louis the Rash.
- Brionne - Corentin.
- Carcassonne - Machevort.
- Carcassonne - Antoine Dupont de l'Etang.
- Parravon - Escargot.
- Mousillon - Laroche.
- Mousillon - Maldred.
- Mousillon - Merovech.
- L'Anguille - Tudual.
- Lyonesse - Repanse de Lyonesse.
- Lyonesse - Francois le Noir.
- Unknown - Beligulf Fearnought.
- Unknown - D'Argent.
- Unknown - Sarlat.
- Unknown - Morlant.
- 1 Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia (6th Edition)
- 2: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - Knights of the Grail (Supplement)